Advanced Master in Safety Management in Aviation
Content and objectives
ENAC Advanced Master in Safety Management in Aviation (SMA) is designed to train Safety Management System (SMS) managers who will lead the structural and administrative changes within their organisation, moving it from reactive thinking to predictive thinking.
In an effort to reach the next level of aviation safety, international civil aviation authorities (ICAO, EASA, FAA) as well as IATA require organisations and institutions alike to implement an SMS for the management of safety risks. The corresponding fields include: aircraft design and production, air operations, aeronautical maintenance, air traffic services, airport and training organisations.
SMS represents the next step in the evolution of safety processes in the aviation industry worldwide, at the organisational level. SMS complements the requirements and regulations in human or technical safety already implemented during the past decades. It is the formal systemic and pro-active approach to anticipating and managing safety risk, as well as to initiating and achieving the necessary transformation of organisational structures, accountabilities, policies, procedures, standard practices and regulations.
The objective is to provide future SMS managers with the fundamentals of how to systematically monitor and improve aviation safety using the Safety Management System described in ANNEX 19 of the ICAO Convention. This programme enables applicants to acquire a practical expertise in the development, implementation, assessment and improvement of SMS and State Safety Programme (SSP).
Courses cover all of the aspects of SMS concepts, processes, methods and operational management, either cross-domain or specific to the organisation. The programme is specifically engineered to address executive as well as working levels, to consider the entire gamut of aviation organisations (aircraft operator, manufacturer, maintenance organisation, airport operator, air navigation service provider, training organisation) and to cover the interactions between all of these organisations.
For more information about "Advanced Master" delivered by ENAC, please click here.
- Academic part (45 ECTS credits)
- Part 1 : Context, Safety Culture, Cross-domain methods
- Part 2 : Safety Management by domain
- SA6005E - MRO-Safety Management: Maintenance organisation
- SA6004E - MANU-Safety Management: Manufacturer
- SA6006E - AD-Safety Management: Aerodrome operator
- SA6007E - ANSP-Safety Management: Air Navigation Services Provider
- SA6008E - ATO-Safety Management: Training organisation
- SA6003E - AO-Safety Management: Aircraft Operator
- Part 3 : Safety at State Level
- End of studies project (30 ECTS credits)
For more information, please click here.
To apply on line, please click here.
Professional prospects and career opportunities
The ENAC Advanced Master in Safety Management in Aviation is designed for current or future SMS managers in charge of the development, deployment, or improvement of SMS in organisations that must comply with ICAO safety requirements.
Civil Aviation Authorities:
• Safety Director or Manager
• Safety performance Manager
• SSP (State Safety Programme) Manager
• Responsible for certification and approval
Industry and operators (Aircraft operator, Aircraft Manufacturer, Approved MRO Organisation, Airport operator, Air Navigation Service Provider, Approved Training Organisation):
• Safety Director or Manager
• SMS (Safety Management System) Manager
• Safety Investigations Manager
• Safety Analysis Manager
Person in charge
Chef de programme pédagogique/Academic programme manager
Phone : +33 5 62 17 42 20
Year 6 higher education – Advanced master
Type of education